A NJ Auto Insurance Alert
“There I was, at peace with the world as I drove my car along the highway. Then, out of seemingly nowhere, a deer suddenly sprinted into the road in front of me…”
There’s definitely a difference between a big animal crossing your driving path and a small one, like a duck, goose or squirrel.
In the case of a deer or other large animal, the experts tell us to swerve out of its way if possible. That’s because knocking into such a mammal may not only put the animal at risk, but you and your passengers as well.
Attempt to swerve by:
- Verify traffic safety by looking in the rear mirror
- Brake as hard as you can, while keeping your vehicle straight
- For vehicles without ABS, reduce pressure on brakes just before you meet the deer
- Veer towards the end of the animal as it is probable it will continue crossing.
When it comes to fowl or rodents, though, the technique is different. An attempt to save a crossing duck or other small animal could land you in trouble with the law if it causes a serious accident.
3 Tips on a Small Animal/Vehicle Encounter
- If there is no other vehicle behind you, slow down while going around the animal, or come to a straight stop and wait for it to pass you.
- If there is another vehicle behind you, value human life before the animal’s. If there’s even a remote chance that you will cause an accident by slowing down or stopping for that critter, don’t change your course of driving. Opt for hitting the animal instead of risking injury or death to any person.
- Should you be concerned about the ducks or geese that you may have hit, resume driving until it is safe to pull to the side and summon the appropriate help.
PRIME Insurance is a 3-generation family-run independent agency that has won the admiration of the industry. We’ve been presented with numerous awards and been appointed to conduct direct business with more than 40 of the leading companies - big names such as ACE, ASI, ASSURANT, CHUBB, FOREMOST, Liberty Mutual, MetLife, Plymouth Rock, PROGRESSIVE, Safeco, StillWater, Travelers, USLI, ZURICH and more. With over 10,000 satisfied customers, we benefit policyholders by reviewing current coverage, as well as by shopping our wide network to locate tailored coverage at competitively lowest quotes.
HAVE A PRIME DAY™!
PRIME Insurance provides all forms of nationwide coverage, including NJ cheap auto insurance, low quote commercial umbrella insurance NJ, Houston, TX commercial property insurance, flood insurance, vacant property insurance NJ, NJ renters insurance, NJ homeowners insurance, NJ bonds, NJ workers comp, NJ life insurance and more. We invite you to experience the PRIME difference by visiting us on our online insurance website; emailing us at PRIME [at] primeins [dot] com; or by calling us at 732-886-5751.
Summary: You are driving along the highway when out of the corner of your eye you notice a small brown furry or feathered thing darting right in front of you. What do you do? Get the answer from the NJ auto insurance pros.