In the United States, it’s a time-honored practice to include private corrections services as part of the local, state and federal prison system.
RELATED: insurance for the youth group home
Private Corrections Industry insurance consists of the following commercial forms of coverage:
- General Liability
- Products Completed Operations Liability
- Medical Malpractice
- Errors and Omissions aka Professional Liability (mostly for civil rights infringements)
Associated insurance is generally written on a claims-made basis.
Private Corrections Insurance Claim Examples
Lawsuits against private corrections run the full gamut, from abuse to discrimination and many other things in between. Below you will find some highlighted insurance claims scenarios where insurance coverage protected the facility from associated financial losses.
- A prison inmate from MT filed a claim for $2.2 million following an injury incident where his foot became wedged into the facility’s dairy machinery.
- An OH prisoner’s mom brought a $75,000 negligence lawsuit against the corrections facility after the man was hit by lightning while in the recreation area.
- After An AZ prisoner was killed by another inmate, the private corrections facility had to contend with a wrongful death allegation in the lawsuit filed by the victim’s family.
- A man that was incarcerated in an IN corrections facility filed a lawsuit against the authorities because of overcrowding that allegedly led to the spread of disease among the inmates.
To find out more about private correctional service insurance, speak to the professionals at Prime Insurance.
PRIME Insurance is a three-generation family-run independent agency. We’re proud partners with many of the leading companies in the industry – big names such as ACE, AmTrust, ASI, ASSURANT, CHUBB, CNA, Employers, FOREMOST, Liberty Mutual, MetLife, PROGRESSIVE, Safeco, StillWater, Travelers, USLI, ZURICH and more. This gives us the ability to provide all forms of nationwide coverage at competitively lowest quotes. Visit us on our online at our insurance website or email us at PRIME [at] primeins [dot] com or call us at 732-886-5751 and HAVE A PRIME DAY™!
Summary: Private corrections facilities are difficult to insure but coverage is available from specific insurance underwriters.