High winds and flooding brought on by severe weather conditions can impact utility lines, leading to power outages.
RELATED: how to prepare for a hurricane
While a generator can be used to access electricity, there are definite safety issues that need to be explored. Yet, those without a generator, face obstacles that not only pose an inconvenience, but also a danger to wellbeing.
The following tips can help those in TX, LA, FL or any other spot following a hurricane or any other storm that causes a halt to utility power.
During a Power Outage
- Opt for flashlight-use as opposed to candles. If this is not an option, take extra precautions with fire safety.
- Do not approach or touch a downed power line.
- Do not open refrigerator or freezer doors. Food can be kept cold in a refrigerator for approximately four hours and the temperature in a stocked freezer should remain at freezing point for about 48 hours if left closed.
- If the weather is hot, drink lots of water and wear lightweight, light-colored apparel. Find a public place that is cool. Otherwise, go to the lowest and coolest spot in your home to wait out the power outage.
- If it is cold, keep warm by wearing layered apparel. Consider going to another location that has heat. Do not attempt to use charcoal indoors as a cooking or heating source.
Following a Power Outage
- Switch off or unplug any appliance that was on throughout the outage to avoid appliance or electronic damage from a possible initial surge of power.
- Call your insurance company about making a claim in regard to related damages.
- Discard food that has been stored in 40 degrees or more for a minimum of two hours or food that has a strange smell or appearance.
- Wait until traffic lights are up and running and traffic is regulated before traveling with your vehicle.
- Verify that the public water is safe to drink.
- Speak to your medical professional about concerns about medicine spoilage.
- Replenish your emergency kit with working batteries, medical equipment, bottled water, and nonperishable foods.
HAVE A PRIME DAY™!
PRIME Insurance is the award-winning independent agency that provides all forms of NJ, NY, PA, TX and other state coverage, including coastal insurance, cheap auto insurance, low quote commercial umbrella insurance, flood insurance, renters insurance, homeowners insurance, bonds, workers comp, life insurance and more - at competitively lowest quotes. We invite you to experience the PRIME difference by visiting us on our online insurance website; emailing us at PRIME [at] primeins [dot] com; or by calling us at 732-400-5242!
Summary: It’s no surprise that a hurricane or any other form of severe wind, rain or snow storm can cause a power outage. Prime Insurance brings you quick tips on how to survive a related blackout.