“Whenever my mind brings up memories of walking home from school, I can almost feel the physical frostbite pain in my fingers and toes that I used to experience…” John, insurance agent, Lakewood, NJ
Though walking in the heat of the summer comes with its specific risks, the cold of winter comes with its own set of associated dangers. Taking proper precautions will let you enjoy all the health benefits of this simple mode of exercise without confronting any hazards.
11 Tips for Cold Weather Walking
- Before the walk, do some quick warmup exercises.
- Grab a bottle of drinking water to take along. Winter activities also can bring on sweating and dehydration!
- Smooth a lip balm over lips and sunscreen over exposed skin.
- Get dressed in 3 layers to keep warm. In the event you become hot, you can remove a layer or two at any time.
- Avoid wearing moisture-absorbing cotton. Instead, wear clothing made out of woolen, polyester or fleece fibers that shield your body from wetness.
- Add a waterproof thin outer jacket to protect you from the wind-chill and rain.
- Be sure to include warm mittens or gloves, a hat, scarf for covering nose/mouth/neck and warm lightweight footwear, designed with a walking grip that will ease your strides over slippery spots.
- Add sunglasses to your attire to shield your eyes from the sun’s glare that is intensified in a snowfall.
- Begin with a stroll, then gradually increase tempo to medium-paced steps. Faster walking increases the risk of slipping and falling on ice or snow patches.
- Wear a reflector or the like to be seen in winter’s early night hours and poor visibility conditions.
- Recognize when the cold becomes a risk-factor and opt instead for an invigorating walk in the mall.
PRIME Insurance is a three-generation family-run independent agency. We’re proud partners with many of the leading companies in the industry – big names such as ACE, ASI, ASSURANT, CHUBB, CNA, FOREMOST, Liberty Mutual, MetLife, PROGRESSIVE, Safeco, StillWater, Travelers, USLI, ZURICH and more. With over 10,000 satisfied customers, we benefit policyholders by reviewing current coverage, as well as by shopping our wide network to locate customized policies at competitively lowest quotes.
HAVE A PRIME DAY™!
PRIME Insurance provides all forms of nationwide coverage, including NJ travelers insurance, cheap auto insurance, low quote commercial umbrella insurance NJ, flood insurance, NJ renters insurance, NJ homeowners insurance, NJ bonds, NJ workers comp, NJ life insurance and more. We invite you to experience the PRIME difference! Visit us on our online insurance website; email us at PRIME [at] primeins [dot] com or call us at 732-886-5751.
Summary: In most situations, there’s absolutely no reason to forego the pleasures of outdoor walking in the cold of winter. Follow these smart walking ideas from PRIME Insurance and stay fit all year long!