- Hurricanes are also referred to as tropical cyclones, and typhoons.
- Hurricanes are accompanied by forceful winds and heavy downpour.
- In 1495, Christopher Columbus penned the first account about a hurricane.
- Hurricanes can extend up to 50,000 feet skywards.
- Hurricanes have the ability to generate tornadoes, gigantic waves, and extensive flooding.
RELATED: How to recover from a home flood
- Typically, hurricanes are in regard to tropical storms that originate in the Atlantic or Northeast Pacific.
- Coastal zones are dangerously impacted by hurricanes.
- The eye of a Hurricane represents the calm spherical area
surrounded by soaring thunderstorms and extreme weather conditions.
- Over the past 200 years, hurricanes have been the cause of approximately two million fatalities.
- The 1992 Hurricane Andrew tore through an eighty foot weighty steel shaft and hurled it beyond a block’s distance.
- The 1900 hurricane of Galveston Texas resulted in the deaths of 8,000 people – making it the lead killer US weather catastrophe of all time.
- In 2005, Hurricane Katrina led to the death of more than 1800 individuals in the US with approximately $100 billion dollars in resulting property damage.
- Hurricane Katrina’s devastating onslaught of New Orleans led to massive and unprecedented city flooding.
- NY and NJ’s Hurricane Sandy impacted the insurance perspective for the area’s coastal regions, transforming them into a storm exposed zone.
PRIME Insurance is a 3-generation family-run independent agency that has won the admiration of the industry. We’ve been presented with numerous awards and been appointed to conduct direct business with more than 40 of the leading companies - big names such as ACE, ASI, ASSURANT, CHUBB, FOREMOST, Liberty Mutual, MetLife, PROGRESSIVE, Safeco, StillWater, Travelers, USLI, ZURICH and more. With over 10,000 satisfied customers, we benefit policyholders by reviewing current coverage, as well as by shopping our wide network to locate tailored coverage at competitively lowest quotes.
HAVE A PRIME DAY™!
PRIME Insurance provides all forms of coverage in NJ, NY, PA, MD, TN, TX, FL and all other US states, including cheap auto insurance, low quote commercial umbrella insurance, flood insurance, renters insurance, homeowners insurance, bonds, workers comp, life insurance and more. We invite you to experience the PRIME difference by visiting us on our online insurance website; emailing us at PRIME [at] primeins [dot] com; or by calling us at 732-400-5242!
Summary: Hurricanes have generated extensive insurance claims over the years. Discover some lesser known facts about this form of tropical disturbance.