When a sewer line contractor working in the heart of a residential area in Lakewood, NJ struck a gas line, it sparked an explosion and prompted dozens of home evacuations.
RELATED: testing for radon in your home
In view of this and other such occurrences, it’s worthwhile to brush up on related natural gas safety tips. Prime Insurance offers these.
The Do’s and Don’ts of Safety and Insurance Protection
- DO evacuate your home if you smell gas.
- DO call the gas company from a safe distance of your home if you suspect a gas leak.
- DO NOT use your telephone if you detect a gas odor that may indicate a leak.
- DO NOT switch on lights or other electrical things if you detect a gas odor.
- DO NOT light a match or ignite a flame if you detect a gas odor.
- DO an annual inspection of all home gas appliances, including your chimney, furnace, heating vents and gas lines.
- DO take proper care and maintenance of all gas appliances by following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Do have an operating fire extinguisher in your home.
- DO NOT return to your home until officials have given their okay that it is safe to do so.
- DO file an insurance claim as soon as you can if you are a homeowner or renter that experienced related damages.
- DO attempt to minimize home and property damage by covering the impacted zone with a tarp or other over-wrap.
- DO save any receipt related to making repairs or renting a temporary dwelling place.
- DO take pictures of the damages to use as documentation backing up your insurance claim.
- DO make sure to use only a competent, licensed and insurance contractor for repair work.
For complimentary related insurance advice from the insurance professionals, contact us at PRIME.
PRIME Insurance is a three-generation family-run independent agency. We’re proud to partner with many of the leading underwriters – recognized companies like ACE, AmTRUST, ASI, ASSURANT, CHUBB, CNA, Employers, FOREMOST, Liberty Mutual, MetLife, PROGRESSIVE, Safeco, StillWater, Travelers, USLI, ZURICH and more. This gives us the ability to provide all forms of nationwide coverage and bonds at competitively lowest quotes. Visit us on our online insurance website or email us at PRIME [at] primeins [dot] com or call us at 732-886-5751 and HAVE A PRIME DAY™!
Summary: There’s a reason why the gas utility companies add an odor to the natural odorless gas that runs through your home. You need to be able to notice the smell if there’s a leak. Here are tips on safety management and insurance protocol associated with gas explosions.