A Guide from Prime Insurance
If you are relocating from one state to another, or have just bought a new or previously owned car, you will need to purchase license plates.
Before going down to the Motor Vehicle Department with the correct form and amount of payment, make sure you have current registration on your vehicle.
For your convenience, some states allow you to mail in a completed downloaded form.
Your application for license plates must be accompanied with some documentation:
- If you are a vehicle owner, you will need to provide a copy of the title.
- If you lease your vehicle, you will need to have your lien holder fill out a form for validation.
- You will need to fill in requested information, including required auto insurance information, on the application for Certificate of Title.
- In many states, you will need to provide a Certificate of Inspection from an authorized agency that has inspected your vehicle.
- In many cases, a Bill of Sale is required.
Related License Plate Info
Although some letters that can be confused with numbers and others that may appear offensive are not used by a motor vehicle agency, standard license plates contain digit-number-serial combinations that may include expiration dates and initials of issuing county. Moreover, drivers with disabilities can include the international symbol of accessibility, entitling them to parking privileges.
Approved vehicle owns can order customized and personalized license plates for an additional fee.
PRIME Insurance is a three-generation family-run independent agency. We’re proud to partner with many of the leading underwriters – recognized companies like ACE, AmTRUST, ASI, ASSURANT, CHUBB, CNA, Employers, FOREMOST, Liberty Mutual, MetLife, PROGRESSIVE, Safeco, StillWater, Travelers, USLI, ZURICH and more. This gives us the ability to provide all forms of nationwide coverage and bonds at competitively lowest quotes. Visit us on our online insurance website or email us at PRIME [at] primeins [dot] com or call us at 732-886-5751 and HAVE A PRIME DAY™!
Summary: Getting new license plates for a new or used vehicle or when you move to another state gets simpler with this guide from Prime Insurance.