If you missed it in science class, here’s an overview of what happens when water freezes: it expands. In regard to your home, cold temperatures can cause the water in your pipes to freeze, expand and cause increased water pressure that leads to a pipe burst, resulting in considerable property water damage.
Did you know?
- Frozen pipes are 1 of the main property damage risks in cold weather
- Thirty-seven percent of frozen pipe fiascoes originate in a home’s basement
- Frozen pipe water damage can amount to above $5,000 in repair costs
- Water can freeze if exposed to 32 degree weather
- Most homeowners insurance policies will not cover frozen pipe damage because it is preventable
If your pipes run through unheated areas of the house, like the attic, crawl spaces or weather exposed outer walls, they are at particular risk. Though a professional plumber may be capable of redirecting pipes to heated areas, this may not be the most pragmatic way to go.
The following suggestions from home insurance experts that can help reduce pipe freezing risks.
6 Tips to Keeping Your Pipes from Freezing
- Wrap pipes or encase them with heavily insulated sleeves
- Seal outer wall holes and foundation holes with calk
- Keep warm air circulating properly by leaving kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors ajar
- Keep a minimum water drip from faucets during colder weather
- When leaving your home for extended times, keep thermostat high enough not to cause a pipe freeze
- Drain your water system completely when leaving on vacation by shutting off main valve and turning on hot and cold water faucets until flow stops
PRIME Insurance is a multi-generation family-run independent agency. We’re proud partners with over 40 of the chief industry companies – leading names, like ACE, ASI, ASSURANT, CHUBB, FOREMOST, Liberty Mutual, MetLife, PROGRESSIVE, Safeco, StillWater, Travelers, USLI, ZURICH and more. This gives us the edge to locate tailored coverage at competitively lowest quotes.
HAVE A PRIME DAY™!
PRIME Insurance provides all forms of NJ, NY, PA, MD and other nationwide policies, including auto, home, commercial, flood, renters, bond, workers comp, life insurance and more. Join thousands of satisfied customers and experience the PRIME difference by visiting us at our insurance website, emailing us at PRIME [at] primeins [dot] com or calling us at 732-400-5242!
Summary: Learn from the insurance experts how to avoid a damaging home pipe freeze!