Spring and summer’s irresistible pull to the great outdoors includes bicyclists. The added traffic strain on the roads, however, places drivers of all types of vehicles at risk of a related accident.
Here’s what to do in the event of a collision.
Insurance and Other Steps in an Auto – Bicycle Accident
Following the collision:
- Put your car immediately in park, exit your vehicle and see if the cyclist has been injured. If the cyclist needs emergency care, call for EMT.
- If there is no need for emergency medical care, park your car out of traffic’s way and summon police.
- Jot down the attending officer’s name and case reference number as well as any other pertinent information and get supportive photo documentation of any damages as well as testimony from any witnesses, then call your insurance company to inform them about the crash and give them the facts.
- Do not acknowledge any liability at the scene of the accident. If the cyclist was not following the rules of the road properly, the collision may not be your fault and you will not be responsible for medical or other costs.
- If you are found to be liable for injury in a bicycle related accident, the bodily injury portion of your standard general liability policy required by individual state law will cover medical expenses for the bike rider.
- In the event you are sued and the court demands you pay more than the limits on your coverage, an umbrella policy would protect you from the added, often devastating associated costs.
For more information about auto – bicycle collisions and how insurance can shield you from associated financial losses, speak to us at Prime Insurance.
PRIME Insurance is a three-generation family-run independent agency. We’re proud partners with many of the leading companies in the industry – big names such as ACE, AmTRUST, ASI, ASSURANT, CHUBB, CNA, Employers, FOREMOST, Liberty Mutual, MetLife, PROGRESSIVE, Safeco, StillWater, Travelers, USLI, ZURICH and more. This gives us the ability to provide all forms of nationwide coverage and bonds at competitively lowest quotes. Visit us on our online insurance website or email us at Prime [at] primeins [dot] com or call us at 732-886-5751 and HAVE A PRIME DAY™!
Summary: Nicer weather brings more bicycles on the road and the unfortunate potential for a vehicle –bike collision. Will your auto insurance protect you from a claim?