The insurance industry is very vigilant about fraudulent claims. One of the most cunning examples of auto insurance claim fraud involves something known as a staged crash or collision where it is not just the insurance company that is victimized, but also an innocent driver.
Here’s the criminal scenario:
You’re driving as usual when suddenly you hit another vehicle – or even numerous vehicles. On the surface, it appears as if you are at fault. But in this case, you have been targeted by one or more drivers who force you to crash in order to collect insurance money.
How can someone force you to cause an accident?
Orchestrating a Collision to File a Fake Insurance Claim
There are various documented devious methods used by tricksters. These include:
- The driver of the other car motions that he’s letting you go in front of him, but as you change lanes, he steps on the gas pedal to crash into you.
- The driver of another vehicle moves in to cut your car off and quickly brakes, causing you to crash into her.
- The car in the next lane moves up, blocking you from switching lanes, then the car in front of you suddenly slows down, causing you to hit him in the rear.
- You attempt to make a right turn after stopping at the stop sign when the vehicle parked at the curbside suddenly speeds up and crashes into you as a result of what she claims is your negligence of running the stop sign.
These con artists will stoop to other schemes to further their agenda.
- Co-conspirators pretending to be random folk, known as ‘runners’ and 'cappers’, arrive at the scene of the accident, urging you to use the services of certain lawyers or medical practitioners, who in fact are in on the profit making scam.
- Following the collision, there are numerous passengers claiming they were injured.
- Suddenly, witnesses emerge who support the ‘other driver’s’ version of the accident.
If any of the above indications apply to your accident, jot down details of the accident, take pictures of damages, call your insurance company and do not follow up with their attorney, clinic or auto repair shop recommendations. Your auto insurance company can help out by using their sophisticated resources to help uncover the sting.
PRIME Insurance is a three-generation family-run independent agency. We’re proud to partner with many of the leading underwriters – recognized companies like ACE, AmTRUST, ASI, ASSURANT, CHUBB, CNA, Employers, FOREMOST, Liberty Mutual, MetLife, PROGRESSIVE, Safeco, StillWater, Travelers, USLI, ZURICH and more. This gives us the ability to provide all forms of nationwide coverage and bonds at competitively lowest quotes. Visit us on our online insurance website or email us at PRIME [at] primeins [dot] com or call us at 732-886-5751 and HAVE A PRIME DAY™!
Summary: You are driving along innocently, when – wham! – you hit the car in front of you after the driver suddenly slows down. Such an occurrence may actually welcome you into the ugly world of staged crashes and auto insurance fraud.