A PRIME Insurance Special
Fourth of July and the summer months in general are popular times for people to go on trips away from home.
Related: 7 tips on security for the apartment renter
While vacation mode may make you focus on packing your suitcase and loading up the car or heading out to the airport, don’t forget to do the home-prep as well so that your home will not appear vacant to thieves and vandals and so that exposure to other property damage will be reduced.
Here’s the list of things to do prior to leaving home. Check each chore off as you complete the task to make sure you have prepared your home.
Home Checklist before Leaving for Vacation
- Turn off and unplug all electric appliances that will not be in use.
- Empty your refrigerator of anything that is perishable.
- Take out the garbage.
- Close and lock every window and door.
- Ask a neighbor or friend to periodically check on your home. Make sure you leave contact info so that you can be reached in an emergency.
- Request the post office and newspaper or magazine distributor to hold all mail and reading material until your return.
- Make arrangements to have your grass mowed.
- Coordinate the various times when both inside and outside home lights are automatically turned on and off.
- Place expensive jewelry and other valuable items in a hidden spot within a safe deposit box, or rent space in the bank’s safe deposit box while you are away.
- Notify your alarm company, as well as the area police station about your travel plans.
- Review your home insurance policy to ensure you have the necessary tailored coverage in the event of mishap.
PRIME Insurance is a three-generation family-run independent agency. We’re proud to partner with many of the leading underwriters – recognized companies like ACE, AmTRUST, ASI, ASSURANT, CHUBB, CNA, Employers, FOREMOST, Liberty Mutual, MetLife, PROGRESSIVE, Safeco, StillWater, Travelers, USLI, ZURICH and more. This gives us the ability to provide all forms of nationwide coverage and bonds at competitively lowest quotes. Visit us on our online insurance website or email us at PRIME [at] primeins [dot] com or call us at 732-886-5751 and HAVE A PRIME DAY™!
Summary: The insurance experts understand that the summertime is a popular juncture for a vacation. Here are some recommended steps to take before you leave your home to reduce the risk of theft and damages during your absence.
There are no comments yet.