The holiday season comes in stark contrast to the typical bleakness of the winter. Holiday lights and associated decorations lend a celebratory note to the festivities. Though they may be part of the traditional cheer for some, X-mas trees and related lighting can actually become the catalyst to a serious fire.
NFPA and Fire Insurance Claim Statistics:
- The years 2011 through 2015 had a yearly average of TWO HUNDRED X-mas tree fires, resulting in approximately six fatalities, sixteen injuries and $14.8 million in direct damages per year
- Forty percent of X-mas tree fires occurred as a result of electrical supply or tree lights
- Just over a quarter of the tree-related fires and eighty percent of associated deaths were caused by lit candles or heating sources situated too near to the tree
- Just under a quarter of X-mas tree fires were started deliberately
- 42% of X-mas tree fires took place in the month of December, whereas thirty seven percent took place in the month of January
- Thirty-seven percent of house X-mas tree fires occurred in the living room or den
Tips on how to Avoid Associated risks:
- Decorative tree lights should be certified by an independent testing lab
- Never use lights connected to a worn or broken cord
- Never use lights with loose-fitting bulb connections
- Trees should never be adorned with lit candles
- Do not use a dried out tree
- Trees should not block a doorway
- Never leave the premises or go to sleep prior to turning of the X-mas tree lights
- Dispose of the tree immediately after the holiday
Season’s Greetings from your friends at PRIME Insurance Agency. Stay safe!
PRIME Insurance Agency is the award-winning agency, appointed to conduct direct business with scores of the leading companies. We’re proud partners with recognized industry names, such as ACE, ASI, ASSURANT, CHUBB, FOREMOST, Liberty Mutual, MetLife, PROGRESSIVE, Safeco, StillWater, Travelers, USLI, ZURICH and more. With thousands of satisfied customers, we benefit policyholders by reviewing current coverage, as well as by shopping our wide network to locate customized policies at competitively cheapest quotes.
HAVE A PRIME DAY™!
PRIME Insurance provides all forms of NJ, NY, PA, MD and other nationwide coverage. This includes cheap auto insurance, low quote commercial umbrella insurance , flood insurance, renters insurance, homeowners insurance, bonds, workers comp, life insurance and so on. We invite you to experience the PRIME difference! Visit us on our online insurance website; email us at PRIME [at] primeins [dot] com or call us at 732-400-5242!
Summary: Along with the holiday deciorations, come the fire risks. Learn how to prevent the unthinkable in your home with these smart tips from the insurance guys.