Winter’s freeze has hit NJ, NY, PA, MD – and beyond. As temperatures dip into dangerous lows, the risk of a power outage can affect anyone. Below, Prime Insurance spotlights important tips that can help your family during times when the heat is not functioning.
Keeping Your Home Warm when the Heat is on the Blink
- Gather everyone together in a room that has the most sunlight. This will probably be a room on the southwestern side of your home. The sunshine’s natural warming along with family member’s combined body heat will help with comfort levels.
- Make safe use of your fireplace, wood-burning stove or kerosene heater if you have one.
- Place bricks over a heating source. Then wrap them in rags or towels and put them at the bottom of your sleeping bag to keep your feet toasty warm.
- Fill cracks in windows, doors or any other gap to the outside with with rags, towels, foam or any other material. This should keep the heat from escaping. Allow for enough ventilation, though, when using candles or a heater.
- Drape a sheer plastic or bubble wrap over window so that you will block the cold and stop any heat from getting out while allowing the sun’s warmth to penetrate.
- Lay down several layers of rugs or carpet on the floor to ensure the surface heat does not escape and you benefit from the extra level of warming comfort.
- If you own a tent, erect it inside your designated room to hang out in and confine the heat even more. You can also construct a makeshift tent with blankets.
- Keep plants inside your designated room to aid in carbon monoxide depletion when a heater or candles are used while also maintaining a level of warm-feeling humidity.
- Wear thermal underwear along with extra layers of clothing. Don’t forget to layer on socks and wear gloves or mittens along with a hat.
- Make sure to nourish yourself throughout the day – and just prior to going to sleep. Your body works up heat as it digests food.
- Turn clay planter pots over and place lit candles on top of them so they will get heated up and warm up the room. Remember to take appropriate fire and related precautions.
PRIME Insurance is a three-generation family-run independent agency. We’re proud partners with many of the leading companies in the industry – big names such as ACE, ASI, ASSURANT, CHUBB, CNA, Employers, FOREMOST, Liberty Mutual, MetLife, PROGRESSIVE, Safeco, StillWater, Travelers, USLI, ZURICH and more. This gives us the ability to provide all forms of nationwide coverage at competitively lowest quotes. HAVE A PRIME DAY™! Visit us on our online insurance website; email us at PRIME [at] primeins [dot] com or call us at 732-886-5751.
Summary: Homeowners and renters face the risks of power outage especially in colder winter days. Prime Insurance highlights helpful tips to help you keep your family warm.
There are no comments yet.