Polar Vortex Alert from PRIME Insurance and The Hartford
One of winter’s most expensive insurance claims involve burst pipes. Extreme cold has resulted in hundreds of thousands of dollars in losses for businesses, but there are cases that have caused a few million dollars in losses.
Insurance experts advise business owners and managers to use the following essential precautions:
- Ascertain that even isolated areas of the building are warm enough. Keep a check on indoor temperatures, specifically during night hours and over the weekend. Turn off water sources, particularly in spots where heat is not consistent.
- Dry-pipe valve areas, pump spots, and water tanks should be kept at a minimum of 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Check roofs. Pay special attention to fixing areas of vulnerability. Use proper care when removing snow.
- Check gutters, drains, downspouts and scuppers. Installing heat tracing can eliminate ice buildup.
- Establish the roof’s safe snow depth. Coordinate snow removal schedule to begin when snow reaches half the amount.
- Include roofs, skylights, canopies and overhangs in your snow removal chores.
- Regularly check contents of areas where there is no heat.
- Inspect the insulation and heat tracking devices for failings.
- Inspect all windows, walls, roofs and floors for openings that allow cold in.
- Empty low point drains on dry-pipe sprinklers of water accumulation.
- Make sure any spots at risk of freezing have access to non-freeze fire extinguishers.
- Retain all records that prove you have done required maintenance.
Any commercial enterprise needs to focus on risk management. In relation to preventing pipe bursts, efforts could save your company thousands, if not millions of dollars in damages.
PRIME Insurance is a three-generation family-run independent agency. We’re proud to partner with many of the leading underwriters – recognized companies like ACE, AmTRUST, ASI, ASSURANT, CHUBB, CNA, Employers, FOREMOST, Liberty Mutual, MetLife, PROGRESSIVE, Safeco, StillWater, Travelers, THE HARTFORD, USLI, ZURICH and more. This gives us the ability to provide all forms of nationwide coverage and bonds at competitively lowest quotes. Visit us on our online insurance website or email us at PRIME [at] primeins [dot] com or call us at 732-886-5751 and HAVE A PRIME DAY™!
Summary: A burst pipe can create a devastating loss for your business. Learn techniques from the insurance experts on how to prevent an occurrence even during extreme cold weather.