Hello, fellow drivers, say the insurance companies as they warn about the possible negative effects of turning back the clock.
Turning the clock back in the autumn season means we are changing our bodies’ sleep patterns. Until we accustom ourselves and timetables, we’re likely going to feel more tired at the end of the day when it gets darker faster. This poses a real threat to driving safety.
Here are some facts to ponder:
- A National Sleep Foundation study found that over 6,400 fatalities and 50,000 serious injuries are caused by drivers that do not get enough sleep.
- Driving while sleep deprived can reduce reaction-time and awareness while impairing judgement just as alcohol and drugs (including marijuana) can.
- Close to thirty percent of drivers confess to driving when they are so drowsy that it is difficult to keep their eyes open.
- Under a piece of legislature known as Maggie’ any driver in the state of NJ who has not slept for more than 24 hours and causes an accident resulting in a fatality can be indicted for vehicular homicide.
- The state of AR will prosecute drivers without 24 hours of consecutive sleep who cause a fatal accident with negligent homicide.
Is there a solution? AAA and insurance professionals give the following advice:
- Get a minimum of 6 hours sleep the night before you get behind the wheel on a long-distance drive
- Drive during the daytime hours and rest overnight at a hotel or motel before resuming your trip
- Take a rest every 2 hours or every hundred miles
- If you become drowsy, do not drive further
- Do not rely on the effects of caffeine until a half an hour after you drank the beverage
For more on safe driving and protective auto insurance coverage, contact the professionals.
PRIME Insurance is a three-generation family-run independent agency. We’re proud to partner with many of the leading underwriters – recognized companies like ACE, AmTRUST, ASI, ASSURANT, CHUBB, CNA, Employers, FOREMOST, Liberty Mutual, MetLife, PROGRESSIVE, Safeco, StillWater, Travelers, USLI, ZURICH and more. This gives us the ability to provide all forms of nationwide coverage and bonds at competitively lowest quotes. Visit us on our online insurance website or email us at PRIME [at] primeins [dot] com or call us at 732-886-5751 and HAVE A PRIME DAY™!
Summary: Turning back the clock may impact your driving. Follow these tips on avoiding sleepy driving from the insurance professionals.