The insurance industry knows all too well about water damage in homes across the nation. If the cause is a covered peril, the homeowner’s policy can kick in to help pay for damage to the structure and personal property.
Five Facts about a Home’s Water Woes
- Your homeowners insurance covers water damage that has occurred suddenly and accidentally. If the damage is a result of something like not taking care of a leak in a timely manner, you probably will not be covered.
- Mold is generally not covered by standard Homeowners Insurance. It is often caused by moisture buildup from a flood or a leak and can spread rapidly if not taken care of immediately.
- A small pipe’s crack can let out enough droplets to equal 250 gallons of water in 24 hours!
- Danger: when water reaches household outlets, heaters, power cords and other things connected to your electric system, it can become a conductor. Experts advise calling utility servicemen to turn off the power as soon as water begins to collect.
- You can tell if your hot water heater needs fixing or replacing if you notice water under it or or rusty fittings on top of it.
For any water damage questions and how it relates to your homeowners insurance policy, feel free to contact us at PRIME Insurance Agency.
PRIME Insurance is a three-generation family-run independent agency. We’re proud partners with many of the leading companies in the industry – big names such as ACE, AmTrust, ASI, ASSURANT, CHUBB, CNA, Employers, FOREMOST, Liberty Mutual, MetLife, PROGRESSIVE, Safeco, StillWater, Travelers, USLI, ZURICH and more. This gives us the ability to provide all forms of nationwide coverage at competitively lowest quotes. Visit us on our online insurance website or email us at PRIME [at] primeins [dot] com or call us at 732-886-5751 and HAVE A PRIME DAY™!
Summary: Water is the primary force of water damage to a home. PRIME Insurance shares five facts about it here.