Nebraska and many parts of the Midwest are reeling from the recent floods, but the effects of such disasters are not exclusive to that area. Cases in point, of course include FL, TX and other states impounded by hurricanes and other shows of extreme weather.
Besides flood damage incurred to homes and cars, it’s likely that the motorcycle owner has to deal with water damage afflicted to a beloved bike.
The insurance experts give the same advice to home, auto and motorcycle insurance policyholders following flood damage. Prior to any cleanup or repair work, start snapping pictures to depict related harm to the insurance company. But here’s a word of caution in regard to your motorcycle (or motor or dirt bike or auto),: check if your policy includes comprehensive coverage; without it, your repair or replacement claim will be denied – even if you included flood insurance in your homeowners policy.
Below are the guidelines to salvaging the motorcycle itself.
5 Ways to Recover a Flood-Damaged Motorcycle
- Clean off the rust creating flood water as soon as possible by pressure hosing it down with a mild soapy solution.
- Once you’ve washed down your motorcycle, record the VIN number that’s on the nameplate and save it for documentation for your insurance company.
- Don’t start the engine if you believe water got into it. Bring your motorcycle into the mechanic’s shop so that any liquid in the engine and muffler can be emptied and proper fluid added. It’s a good idea to change the oil a few times before riding your motorcycle again to ensure there’s no remaining contaminating matter.
- Evaluate your bike’s condition to see if it’s worthwhile to repair at all. In the long run of repair expenses as far as today’s electronic savvy motorcycles go, it may make sense to replace your bike instead.
- If you plan to replace your bike with a previously owned one, do the research on how to detect previous water-logging. Just like the used car buyer, you don’t want to replace your flood-damaged motorcycle with another motorcycle that has gone through similar trauma and likely won’t serve you well for long.
For information on motorcycle insurance and comprehensive motorcycle insurance, speak to the insurance experts at Prime.
PRIME Insurance is a three-generation family-run independent agency. We’re proud to partner with many of the leading underwriters – recognized companies like ACE, AmTRUST, ASI, ASSURANT, CHUBB, CNA, Employers, FOREMOST, Liberty Mutual, MetLife, PROGRESSIVE, Safeco, StillWater, Travelers, THE HARTFORD, USLI, ZURICH and more. This gives us the ability to provide all forms of nationwide coverage and bonds at competitively lowest quotes. Visit us on our online insurance website or email us at PRIME [at] primeins [dot] com or call us at 732-886-5751 and HAVE A PRIME DAY™!
Summary: With recent floods in Nebraska and other parts of the Midwest, as well as in states prone to hurricanes, like TX and FL, Prime Insurance gives this guide to motorcyclists impacted by resulting damages.