Accidents involving garbage trucks are notorious for culminating in tragic outcomes. The sheer weight and size of these trucks in proportion to the typical vehicle on the road poses serious safety concerns. The additional heavy cargo of trash inside these trucks adds to the risks, along with related traffic patterns. Because of the associated hazards, motorists need to take extra precautions when encountering a waste collection truck on the road.
You and the Garbage Truck: Six Tips from the Insurance Industry
- Leave home extra early on trash pickup days so as not to be tempted to speed when near a garbage truck.
- Drive defensively: reduce speed, maintain a safe distance and be mindful of added risks presented by the stop-and-go and backing up of the garbage truck.
- Be mindful of debris that may fall suddenly out of the garbage truck and the associated hazards.
- Drive under the assumption that the garbage truck driver’s visibility is compromised by a blind spot.
- Drive defensively: maintain a safe distance between you and the garbage truck,
- Pass the garbage truck only if necessary and safe by slowing down and adhering to related local passing and yielding ordinances.
PRIME Insurance is a three-generation family-run independent agency. We’re proud to partner with many of the leading underwriters – recognized companies like ACE, AmTRUST, ASI, ASSURANT, CHUBB, CNA, Employers, FOREMOST, Liberty Mutual, MetLife, PROGRESSIVE, Safeco, StillWater, Travelers, THE HARTFORD, USLI, ZURICH and more. This gives us the ability to provide all forms of nationwide coverage and bonds at competitively lowest quotes. Visit us on our online insurance website or email us at PRIME [at] primeins [dot] com or call us at 732-886-5751 and HAVE A PRIME DAY™!
Summary: Drivers on the road are apprehensive when behind a garbage truck for good reason – the inherent accident risks. Prime Insurance highlights six important related safety tips.