Handy tips for water damages, mold prevention and fire prevention
Water / plumbing
Burst or ruptured pipes are the leading cause of water-related losses.
- Know where the main water shutoff valve is. In an emergency involving sprinklers or other plumbing leaks, it may become necessary to shut off the water supply.
- Advise tenants or residents to immediately shut off water supply lines when any water leak is detected and to notify a building staff member.
- Review maintenance reports / logs monthly to identify any incident trends.
Preventing mold contamination due to a water loss is dependent on several factors. Have a plan in place that addresses the following:
- Early discovery and repair of a water leak is key to the prevention of mold.
- Remove materials / items prone to mold germination like ceiling tiles and carpet padding. Many mold losses result from building materials or personal property that simply doesn't dry properly.
- Completely dry and dehumidify any affected areas, including open and hidden areas (behind the walls and ceilings).
- Clean with bacteria / mold preventing cleaning products.
Carelessness when cooking and using candles are the most frequent causes of fire losses in apartments.
- Place candles in non-combustible holders and never leave them burning unattended.
- Keep candles out of the reach of children and away from flammable materials such as drapes or upholstered furniture.
- Don’t leave cigarette lighters, matches, or other lighting devices accessible to children.
- Keep a fire extinguisher in an accessible location.
- Don’t disconnect smoke alarms.
- Don't leave the immediate area when cooking on a stovetop.
- Don’t use extension cords with electric space heaters. They are not designed for the high electrical load and may overheat, causing a fire.
- Keep space heaters away from combustible materials.
- Conduct regular inspections of all fire extinguishers to insure they are operational.
At Prime Insurance Agency, we can work with you to make sure you've got the coverage you need, while at the same time using all possible credits and discounts to make that coverage affordable.
Call us at 732-886-5751 or send us a note at PRIME [at] primeins [dot] com. We want to help you meet your goals, and make sure what's important to you is protected!