The first Friday of every June is the holiday not everyone knows about.
National Doughnut Day began as a 1938 Chicago, IL Salvation Army event of the Great Depression. Designed to commemorate the selflessness of volunteers who brought doughnuts to heroic US soldiers serving in the First World War, the function raised money for the needy.
Fun Facts about Doughnuts
- A donut is a sweet deep-fried round dough delicacy that either has a center hole or cooked complete and filled with cream or jelly.
- The nineteenth Century ship captain Hanson Gregory took credit for fashioning the first hole from his mom’s homemade donut.
- The people of Holland are said to have brought the tasty treat to America back in the 19th Century. The word they used for it was olykoeks, a word that aptly means cakes of oil.
- The 1933 World Fair in Chicago featured the donut as the ‘Hit Food of the Century of Progress’ because it came to be known as an inexpensive vending machine snack, popular for the working class.
- As per a 2011 US consensus, there are ten individuals with the Doughnut/Donut surname.
- More than ten billion donuts are produced every year in the United States.
- Police officers have been known to favor the donut treat ever since the ‘50s when late night shift cops would frequent donut spots that were opened till late hours. The rapport began to benefit both business and patron as the shops enjoyed special law enforcement protection as a result.
- Boston, MA has the most donut stores per resident, with 1 shop for every 2,480 folks!
- The most popular donut is the variety with icing on top.
- Apparently, besides being delicious, donut manufacturing has become quite a lucrative business – with the leading ten donut companies raking in over $1 billion!
PRIME Insurance is an A++-rated agency that has been recognized by the industry and more than 10,000 satisfied customers that it services with excellence. Presented with prestigious awards and appointed to do direct business with scores of the top insurance companies, PRIME shops its broad network to deliver tailored policies at competitively lowest quotes.
Providing all forms of nationwide coverage, including NJ cheap auto insurance, low quote commercial umbrella insurance NJ, flood insurance, NJ renters insurance, NJ homeowners insurance, NJ bonds, NJ workers comp, NJ life insurance and more, PRIME can be reached via its insurance website, its email address: PRIME [at] primeins [dot] com, or by calling: 732-886-5751!
Summary: Before biting into your donut on National Doughnut Day, read PRIME Insurance Agency's article about the origins of the delicious holiday!